The VPA bylaws define an Associate member as the following:
- Scientific, legal, medical, educational, religious, fraternal, trade or other publications which have an average non-advertising content of 25 percent or more and that are published for the public in Virginia as often as four times per year may apply for associate membership. These publications include free circulation newspapers, unless they are required to apply for Active membership under Section 1f. above.
- Colleges, foundations, associations and public institutions may apply for associate membership if they are interested in fostering their relationship with the press.
- The Virginia Associated Press may also apply for associate membership.
- An associate member shall pay dues and shall be entitled to all privileges of the association except those of voting and holding office.
- Each associate membership shall be reviewed at the summer meeting of the board of directors for approval of membership for the ensuing year.